Explore your options

The college Fair

For students wishing to attend college after graduating high school, Timberlane’s college fair, held on Monday, September 14th and Tuesday, September 15th was a great opportunity for members of the junior and senior classes.

This is the third year the college fair has been held at Timberlane. Several schools come across the United States to speak with juniors and seniors. All three years have been a success, and the school district is looking forward to many years with the college fair.

Timberlane has combined this event with Bishop Guertin. Timberlane hosts the college fair in the morning and Bishop Guertin hosts the fair in the afternoon. Hosting the college fair with Bishop Guertin allows more colleges to have the opportunity to speak to students from two different schools and thus enables both high schools to attract more college representatives to attend.

According to Mrs. Robyn Mahoney, a guidance counselor at TRHS, the college fair is a very important experience for students, “It is an opportunity to talk to members of a college and get all the information you need in 5 minutes, instead of spending hours online searching for the information. Students are able to come face to face with members of the college that interests them,” Mahoney explained.

An alumni from Villanova University, a private college outside of Pennsylvania, explained the purpose of college fair, “The college fair is almost like an interview,” she explained. “We get a first impression of the students who are interested.”

So what exactly are college representatives looking for?  “We are looking for someone who shows interest in this school, someone who asks questions and makes direct eye contact,” she explained.

Nichols College is also a private school located in Dudley, Massachusetts in attendance at the college fair looking to gain more exposure, “The College Fair helps to get the name of our school out there. It is not a common school, so this is a great opportunity to get the name of our school out to students. The fair has helped us a lot in the past having more applicants,” explained a student who attends Nichols college.

While the colleges are benefiting from the fair, the main point of the fair is to benefit the students. For juniors, it was their first year at the fair and for seniors, it was their second year attending the fair.

Junior Skylar Reddington had a great first beneficial experience at the college fair, “The College fair was lit,” she explained. “It helped me narrow down my choices on what I want to do and where I want to go in my future. It opened up a lot of opportunities for me by being able to meet representatives from colleges.”

The top two schools that interested Reddington were Newbury College in Brookline, MA and Marymount Manhattan located in Manhattan, NYC.

Senior Kiley Broadhurst compared her experience at the college fair last year to this year. “The college fair was a lot more helpful my senior year,” she explained. “As a junior I wasn’t quite sure what I planned on doing in my future, but this year I was able to ask more questions that benefited my interest.”

Whether you are planning on attending community college or living at college, I highly suggest taking advantage of the college fair. The college fair could be the start to your future career!